Debt help for the most common form of debt
Consumer credit includes debt that is owed in the form of: Credit card debt; Doorstep loan debt; Overdraft debt; Personal loan debt; Store card debt; Store finance debt; Weekly payment store debt; Short term loan debt; Catalogue debts; Guarantor loan debts; Hire purchase debts; Logbook loan debt; Car finance debt and Insurance debts.
Debt help tips for tackling consumer credit debt:
- Know your rights. In the UK, you benefit from some of the toughest consumer protection in the world. Start by reading this Consumer Credit Act guide from Which?.
- Speak to debt help experts, who’ll be able to provide you with advice tailored to your circumstances.
- If you have savings, use them to repay your debts.
- Create an income, debt and expenditure sheet to understand the amount you currently owe, and how much you can afford to repay your creditors moving forward.
- Assess your outgoings and cut out any unnecessary expenses.
Worried about debts that won't go away?
- Explore our debt solutions to find out what your options are, or speak with our team for tailored debt help.
- Check to see whether you’re entitled to any benefits you aren’t currently claiming – this Benefits Check Guide from Money Saving Expert will walk you through the process.
- There are many myths and misconceptions out there in relation to credit card debt. Begin your debt help journey by educating yourself with our guide to credit card myths.