Debt help if you owe rent, mortgage payments or council tax

Housing debts include rent or mortgage repayments. Understandably this type of debt can be the most concerning.

Staying in your home – whether rented or mortgaged – is a priority, which is why you should pay these debts above all others and seek debt help immediately.

Debt help tips for tackling housing debt:

    • If you’re on a low income, you may be eligible for Government help with your mortgage payments. You can find out more about Mortgage Interest (SMI) payments here.
    • If you’re renting you should get in touch with your landlord, housing association or council as soon as possible. You should also make yourself aware of your tenant rights.

Worried about debts that won't go away?

  • If you own your own home, contact your mortgage lender to see whether they can provide debt help.
  • If you’ve been told that you are facing eviction or repossession, you should seek debt help immediately. You can use a charity-based service, such as StepChange or Citizens Advice, or you can contact a debt agency.

Ready to seek debt help? Talk with the National Debt Help team on 0800 002 9051.

How we use cookies   X